måndag 9 april 2012

It Hurts To See...

This mannequin was displayed in the window of Gina Tricot's store at Sergelgatan in Stockholm

It makes me furious and so freaking sad that this is what young girls have to see when shopping for clothes on a daily basis!!! I mean--the ribs??? Give me a show of hands all of you who think this looks seriously good! No wonder so many of us feel bad about our weight or looks! I might be just a wee bit biased (or some might think: jealous...), but this is wrong. All the guys I've talked to say they think it looks disgusting, but it might still affect young girls negatively and the CEO says it's supposed to be a size 36 EU/6 US. Why does it always have to be a size 6? What's wrong with size 8 or 10? When will we accept the fact that we all look different and be "allowed" to feel good about ourselves just the way we are? I'm trying to loose weight due to health-issues and because I want to, not because I want to look like a skeleton mannequin... Not that I ever could, my bone-structure won't allow it!
I know several women who have suffered from eating disorders and though I strongly feel that we all are responsible for taking care of ourselves and our bodies--this is not the way to teach us that we are perfect just the way we are. And I do believe that we aren't more than humans and we do get affected by what we see, what we read, what we hear. I for one hate shopping! I was never a huge fan of it, but since my weight-gain 5 years back--it's gone from a lack of interest to some small kind of phobia for me. I know that the clothes I think look great won't fit, they never make them in my size. Let's not even get started on jeans. I love jeans, but Levi's and Diesel have never made jeans for girls with lots of jelly... =) Just saying'. Kim Kardashian has not changed that fact and maybe she and J.Lo can get their jeans custom-fit, but most of us can't and therefore we have to settle for old ladies "jeans" at KappAhl... Not a lot of fun I can tell you... 
A few years back, Lindex (read an article here) launched a collection of clothes called "Affordable Luxury" by designer Ewa Larsson--this collection was only made in sizes Small and Medium with the explanation that for larger sizes they would have had to make totally different clothes!!! Since then, I have never sat my foot in a Lindex store. My silent protest which will now expand to Gina Tricot. I think it's so tragic, I'm lacking words for how I feel, but for the 13-year old me who cried herself to sleep after days of mockery at school--I have to do something!
I dream of creating my own collection of clothes one day, one where all sizes are available, where the right to look fantastic isn't limited to a number. I've already thought up a name for it: Wicked Beauty by Wallin Bååth, how's that for a name?!? 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar